Monday, March 9, 2009

She Said: Sharing Foreign Experiences

Q: How did your day go. We are excited about getting more information about your days and experiences.
Asked by Steve Flinn

A: I guess the fact that it took me 4 days to get to your question pretty much answers it.  I know we've shared lots since then, and the bottom line is we had a blast being together in Washington.  I will be looking forward to being together in one place again sometime in the near future.  It was strange to be back in Washington again, but in a totally different space with once again, new experiences. 

The excitement and seeking information piece of your question reminded me of something that came up in the training that I thought I'd just share it.  The staff at FSI said that one of the biggest challenges families and children face when they come back from overseas (and even now I can see it to a certain extent), is that they have a hard time connecting to people at home because their lives are so different.  I remember this from study abroad.  When I came back, I wanted to share my experiences.  It's not that people aren't interested, it's just that you have very different experiences and people sometimes aren't as interested in listening.  An older woman at FSI told me how fortunate she was to have people in her life at home that would sit she and her husband down each time they came home and share experiences back and forth.  That has been our experience so far as well and I wanted to say thanks to all of you for being so supportive and interested in what we're doing.  You have all been so interested in hearing about what we are doing and we have not felt disconnected at all.  We really do look forward to sharing our experiences with you in the future as you share yours with us as well.  

Ask stephbeckmann a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment