Thursday, November 5, 2009

She Said: Turkeys and Sandy Water

Well, the last couple of days have been very up and down for me. Yesterday, unfortunately, I was very down. I definitely feel a bit homesick and I'm missing all of you. I also really miss Target. It was a hard adjustment in DC to adjust to not working, but this is a really difficult adjustment. I miss the target culture, the people, the challenging work, etc. It's hard to start a new life where you feel like people just don't understand where you came from and who you are. So I spent a good part of yesterday morning at home crying.

Today, I woke up and decided I had the choice of either being at home and crying, or enjoying the day. I chose the latter and I've had a really great day. I ventured out to the gym for the first time today. It's a nice little gym at the embassy. So far I don't know of any personal trainers here, which is really what I need, but one step at a time. For now I just want to commit to going at least three times a week. It's about a 10 minute walk from our apartment, so it's definitely doable.

You're probably wondering about the title of the post. Well, yesterday I had quite the surprise at the bottom of my water glass. I was really thirsty having arrived from my walk to the embassy and I chugged my glass of water and got a mouthful of sand. Yuck! I was so grossed out. We just found out that we need to wipe off the bottles that arrive with bottled water with bleach water before we load them. I also took the bottle off the tank only to discover that the tank for the water was also lined with sand. It was gross, but everything is disinfected and ready to go now. No sand in your water if you come to visit :-).

We've decided to hire someone to help out in the apartment a couple of times a week. This will also allow me to be on my own schedule and not to have to be home for water delivery, repairs, etc. It's our first time ever doing this, so we're definitely learning from others. We'll let you know how it goes.

The most exciting news of today is that our turkeys arrived. Every year the embassy offers employees the option to order turkeys. They are really nice turkeys and I think they may ship them in from the states. In our typical overzealous fashion, we ordered 3. Now we have them all sitting our freezer. Hopefully we will get our stuff by Thanksgiving so we can enjoy the turkey, the stuffing and all of our favorites for the holidays. Off to pick up the apartment...Brian informed me packages have arrived from Target which means our new bedding is here. Yeah!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok Steph! I just read this post and you've got me all sad. Don't cry!!!!! It will all work out. Isn't that how it goes with any new location? You go through these growing pains for a few weeks / months and then suddenly it all comes together. Hang in there my friend.

    --Vicky

    ReplyDelete