Sunday, November 22, 2009

He Said: Food Glorious Food

It has been quite a while since I last posted on the blog. I guess it goes to show how I've been entrenched with life at the embassy and getting used to the new job. I'm thankful that Steph has been able to post on occasion to keep you all up to date, and I think she's starting to feel a little more settled.

Work has definitely been keeping me busy since we landed a month ago, yesterday. It's very strange to think that 9 months have passed since I started A-100 and an entire month has gone by since we first landed in Caracas. Time has definitely flown by, and I think for the most part we have been having fun.

One thing that has really kept Steph and I sane since we've arrived is cooking and exploring the culinary side of Caracas and Venezuela. Without any of our stuff our apartment does feel quite empty. Additionally, with security restrictions and the lack of a car, life in the apartment can make you feel a little captive at times. We have really tried to battle these feelings through our weekly trip to Chacao Market, bumming a ride from someone at the embassy each week. Chacao has exposed us to new fruits, vegetables, seasonings, and cooking methods. The vendors as we've gotten to know them have become very open in sharing tips and telling us what they'd be doing with our purchases for the week. Our little adventures out have opened our eyes to new things and I think have sparked a little extra imagination with our inner chefs.

Over the past couple of weeks Steph and I have had some difficulty just spending time together. With work, embassy events, adjusting to all the new things, and just sheer exhaustion we find ourselves going to bed early and also trying to find some quiet time for ourselves. One thing that has brought us together is the kitchen. During these past two weeks Steph and I have been working our way through some of the basics of Latin American cooking... which also means we have been... (gasp) frying. Last week we braved "tostones" which are fried, mashed, plantains. Plantains are a little like bananas, but more starchy. The end product comes out somewhere between a big flat french fry and a donut. A little sweet, a little starchy. After reading this I realize my description kind of stinks, but you'll just have to come and visit us to try them out as I think we're now getting the hang of it. Other attempts have been made at making fried Yuca (another potato like product that I think turns out better than french fries... now if I only had a chocolate malt to dip them in) and Tequeños. Tequeños are white cheese that is wrapped in a bready wrapper (almost like an eggroll wrapper, but more bready) and deep fried. They're kind of like mozzarella sticks but with bread, not bread crumbs, and no tomato dipping sauce. You can buy them pretty much anywhere, including the baseball stadium. We have been taking pictures of all of our wonderful kitchen creations and we'll be sure to share them with you all...that is as soon as our newly ordered camera cord arrives.

Well, life has definitely been an adventure since our arrival, and there has easily been a lot of adjusting to do. Life is simply... different. We are of course heading in a new direction and are at the beginning of our own little journey. As you've probably gathered from some of the stories that Steph has been able to share, we have definitely had our share of "adventures" since we arrived. I am confident in time that things will settle, but until then, I guess we'll just have to confide in filling our stomachs with good food and discovering Venezuela, one bite at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I have just enhaled your blog in one sitting. Sooooo exciting! My hubby is taking the test again in January. I was wondering- will you celebrate Thanksgiving? Do FSOs and expats get together normally for American holidays?
    I also really appreciated your honest take on how you were feeing low and decided to walk everyday and embrace all the differences. I see myself doing that and found it really inspiratonal. Your blog has been the best I've read on the road to the FS. Keep posting, we're reading.
    -Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay,
    Thanks so much for the comment. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. We love being able to share our experience, and especially with people who are considering FS as a future career. Brian and I read many blogs before he joined Foreign Service and I became a trailing spouse and it really helped us better understand what life would be like. Hope you continue reading! Let us know if you have any questions.

    Best,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete