Tuesday, April 7, 2009

He Said: A-100 Week 5, Core Skills Rotation

Before this week began, we were told that it would be one of the most useful weeks of A-100. Looking back, I can honestly say that they were not kidding.

The Core Skills Rotation is a series of exercises and sessions that continue our education on embassy life and help hone our communication skills. For these sessions, our class was split into three groups: Team Jefferson, Team Franklin, and Team Monroe. I was placed on Team Monroe, representing our fifth President. My group began the week by discussing embassy life, professional conduct, and how to properly work and run a representational event (reception). Although these sections were mostly presentations, it is really nice and refreshing to begin discussing what our lives will be like at the embassy. I was shocked how many after work events either occur at the U.S. Embassy or at neighboring embassies in the host country. It's strange to think that this new job really is 24/7 representation of the U.S. Government, but in the end that is what I signed up for, the opportunity to serve my country.

Toward the end of the week, Team Monroe spent time reviewing crisis management and diplomatic immunity and privileges. While major emergencies at the embassy are not highly likely, they do happen. The State Department definitely has experience handling these situations and teaching us to do the same. Our session on diplomatic immunity taught us that it was created to prevent host governments from trapping, holding, or hassling diplomats as a bargaining chip to their country. I was surprised that with all the hype around diplomatic immunity that this is what it comes down to, you are never supposed to have to use this privelege. In the end, I really don't care, but all the hype and build up definitely brought about a slight sense of disappointment.

The best sessions of this week, at least I thought, were titled "Composure Under Fire." These sessions were designed to teach us how to handle tough questions during a press conference, Q&A sessions, or even at cocktail parties. As representatives of the U.S. we can expect that many people we meet along the way will be interested in the U.S. and what is going on here. While we will be prepared to answer many questions, there will likely be answers that we won't have. These sessions taught us how to handle those situations. The highlight for me was the session where we got in front of the room and were hammered with tough questions. While it was very uncomfortable and nerve wracking, I really do want to get better and practice is the only way. I think I did pretty well, but I'd sure like to do it again.

After class on Friday a number of us went out into Virginia for Korean Fried Chicken and karaoke. One of our classmates organized this extra-curricular field trip to expose us to something new. I have to say, this was some of the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life. Apparently they cook it a lot longer than here in the States and at a lower temperature. this causes the fat to render out and for the batter to become one with the skin. It was spicy, crunchy, and delicious. I can't wait for Steph to come out so I can bring her to this restaurant to share in the experience. Karaoke afterward was an absolute blast. What a great group I have for classmates, Everyone was willing to participate and was just out to have a good time. I can already see how the Foreign Service develops a close knit group.

I'm constantly amazed at the different things I am exposed to because of my new job. In one weekend I have tried a new food, done karaoke (where the book was mostly in Korean), and learned many of the rules of rugby (as explained to me by one of my classmates). I consider myself so lucky to be having these experiences. I truly do look forward to Steph getting out here when the time comes so that we can share these new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment