Sunday, June 28, 2009

He Said: Poco a Poco

A long time ago in one of my posts I talked about how much I was looking forward to getting to the 10th week of my Spanish training because that was supposed to be a point at which things usually "clicked" for most students. Well, it took a little counting today for me to realize that last week was that 10th week, and that I really do feel as though things are "clicking." It is so weird to think about how fast time has flown by since we started this journey. How many great things have occurred, and how much Steph and I have grown through this whole process.

I really have been impressed by the language training at FSI. To think of where I was 10 weeks ago, and where I am now is somewhat unfathomable. I realize that I have been working and studying hard, but I definitely have to hand it to the instructors and the teaching methods used to get me to where I am today.

In one of my recent individualization sessions with my current professor, I recently reviewed the "Imperfect Subjunctive," a verb tense that is often considered horrible by many students because it's used to indicate doubt, unsure action, commands, and other things, but in the past. For example, I recently translated "We had to make a car do three things that day." This sentence seems straightforward, but in Spanish, the word for to make and to do is the same... enter the subjunctive! This form often gets a bad rap (I really didn't think it was that bad), but the real reason I am mentioning it is because it is the final verb tense I will learn in Spanish. It was crazy to walk out of that session realizing that from here on out I will no longer be working on verbs, but rather learning phrases, idioms, and other common language forms, rather than figuring out how to connect anything... basically from here on out I'll be working on review and mastering what I do know. In essence, the road forward. It's an exciting and scary prospect, but I know that deep down I am gearing up and really ready to begin using my skills... funny that this connects to the post from way back when I said I couldn't wait to just get to week 10.

On another note, it has been so nice having Steph here in DC with me to share all of this. It has been so much better having another person in the apartment and someone to share all my stories (and now experiences with). I think we both realize often how this really truly is OUR journey and that we each have a contribution to it. I've definitely enjoyed our shared time at FSI during the day and having lunch together when possible. I'm also grateful to have someone at home to practice my Spanish with, as well as someone to show my homework to (like a school child looking for praise from their parents).

As we begin to watch our new friends head off to their first assignments, it really brings a sense of anticipation for us both. I know we'll be ready, but in the end we need to take this one step at a time and little by little... or as they say in Spanish, "poco a poco."

No comments:

Post a Comment