Tuesday, May 5, 2009

She Said: Last day at Target, Preparing for Packout

Today is Brian's birthday, another milestone apart :-( . I am ready for this part of the journey to be over!!! Happy birthday Bri!

Aside from the fact that I am missing another celebration with Brian, this has been an extremely challenging week. Last Friday was my last day at Target and I cried harder than I think I have ever cried when I left a job. I loved Target from the day that I first reached out to them to find out about what opportunities they had available (some would argue even before that), and I love it even more having worked for them. A shoutout to Target, they are outstanding from start to finish!! As I said goodbye to my coworkers, I started to get teary eyed, and by the time I got in my car, I was definitely crying. I miss the people there already!

On Friday night, Brian arrived and he and I spent the majority of the weekend sorting, labeling, donating and organizing. The leadup to packout has been quite the experience. While in other moves I have been overwhelmed by the thought of packing all of my possessions into boxes, in this move I am overwhelmed at the thought of not packing anything. Everything is literally sitting out in our apartment and I have the urge to just start boxing and sealing. No worries Brian, I will not do that. I know that everything must be seen and packed by the movers for insurance purposes. There always has to be some red tape. Beyond simply sorting and organizing, I think the worst part of packout has been the inventory. Granted, some of it is because of my own choices about inventory, but it has been painful nonetheless. Because we won't see a lot of our possessions for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, I want to be as organized as possible, and know which possessions are in which boxes. I have put everything into an online system (which is great by the way, www.knowyourstuff.org) labeled with its location, description and the box number. Tomorrow the movers will be here to box everything up and take it away. My dad and I will leave for DC on Friday morning.

Aside from the logistics, there are exciting things going on, which is the fun part of this adventure. For the first time since we started dating, I have been able to share some of my favorite Spanish music with Brian and he can really understand the meaning. That has been fun. He is really progressing quickly and it's fun to watch him. I have also made several Venezuela contacts here in Minnesota just in talking with people. In about a half hour I will be talking with a woman whose husband is Venezuelan and has offered to share insights and answer questions for us. If there's one thing I've learned about Venezuelans so far, it's that they are warm, and welcoming and so open to sharing their country with you. I can't wait to experience that first hand when we get on the ground. Looking forward to sharing more stories with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment